Club Germania, Kennedy Road, the Mid-Levels

Founded in November, 1859, the first premises of the German Club were situated in Queen's Road East. In March of the following year larger premises in Lower Wyndham Street, opposite the German Consulate, were leased. With increasing membership these premises eventually became too small, and in 1899 it was decided to build a new club house. An excellent site upon the Kennedy Road was chosen, and on December 31, 1902, the splendid building known as the Club Germania was opened. It was closed during the First World War since Germany was at war with Britain. In 1918, St. Joseph's College, originally located at Robinson Road, moved in and rented the Club's premises. The building was demolished in 1961.

To view this page ensure that Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.0 or greater is installed. Get Adobe Flash player

Share Share
location