View of Spring Gardens, Wan Chai, 20th August 1846

Possibly one must view the hills in the background as being today's familiar landmarks such as Mount Parish (eastern end of Kennedy Road), Morrison Hill (now vanished), and even Leighton Hill. In fact, the building on the centre hill is probably "Gillespie's House" which was followed by the old Naval Hospital where the Ruttonjee Hospital is today. One interesting clue to identification of this picture lies in the rock pointing skyward on the right-hand hill; this is obviously the Lover's Rock which still stands out in sharp outlline today.

Share Share