A recent photo of the lighthouse on Waglan Island

This photograph shows the lighthouse together with the outbuildings which are situated on Waglan Island. Unlike Gap Rock, the lighting apparatus for Waglan was manufactured by Barbier and Co. of Paris for the Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs. The lighthouse started to operate in 1893. Following the 99-year lease of the New Territories and outlying islands, from China to Britain in 1898, Waglan Lighthouse came under the direct control of the Hong Kong Government, commencing in 1901.

Share Share