Hongkong Ice Company Ltd.

The Hongkong Ice Company, Ltd. Before 1874, ice was imported by the Tudor Ice Company from America. The sailing ships with the imported ice anchored close to the foot of Ice House Lane and the ice blocks were stored in the government's Ice Depot. The Ice House Street was named accordingly. In 1874, two Scotchmen erected two damp-air machines and used them to produce ice in Hong Kong. The machines were sold to Messrs. Jardine, Matheson & Co., who formed the business into the Hong Kong Ice Company in 1879. The factory was built in East Point, Causeway Bay, and the two damp-air machines were replaced by three amonia compression machines. The ice produced was carted to the town depot but to shipping it was sent directly by boat, due to its convenience to the harbour. In 1900, the company built a range of insulated cold stores and used them for storing meat, butter, etc. from Australia and supplied them to the British naval and military forces. In 1884, the company bought the ice house from the government and turned it into office and ice depot.

To view this page ensure that Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.0 or greater is installed. Get Adobe Flash player

Share Share