From 1969 to 1973, the presence of TV actors increased immensely. In particular, the popular variety show “Enjoy Yourself Tonight” show staged outdoors. TV stars, moreover, acted as hosts of events which enhanced the appeal to the crowds. In 1971, TVB organized an amateur singing contest which was part performance, part competition. This perhaps marked the beginning of the trend of singing contests which came in vogue in the following years.
Rediffusion Television, besides providing performances, also organized the Miss Hong Kong Festival contest at each Festival. Large crowds were attracted to the semi-finals held at Morse Park and the finals at Edinburgh Place; these programmes were also broadcast live. Such events opened the door for shows that publicly evaluated the physical attributes of women to enter people’s homes.
Programmes intended for the general public were not only offered by television companies. In 1973, Commercial Radio held outdoor broadcasts with the most popular disc jockeys hosting the Live Discotheque party in Kowloon Park.
- Morse Park Open-art Theatre – Opening Ceremony and Variety Show
- Application form for Miss Hong Kong Festival 71 Contest
- Festival Press Release: Variety Show in Morse Park and Children’s Mobile Art Exhibition
- Festival Press Release: TVB Performance in the Fun Fair
- Festival Press Release: Fun Fair in Morse Park
- Festival Press Release: Cathay Studio Fun Fair
- Festival Press Release: Commercial Radio Fun Fair
- Festival Press Release: Fung Po Po and Joe Junior in Festival of Hong Kong Kiosk