Nominally, the main aim of Hong Kong Week in 1967 was to promote the idea of “Hong Kong People Use Hong Kong Products”, but the content and form of the actual activities gave the impression that the deeper purpose was to “share joy with the masses”. Apart from exhibitions of handicrafts and a competition called “Shoppers’ List”, activities featuring popular music, opera, acrobatics, fashion, sports competitions, Hong Kong Week Pageant, etc. were really cultural and recreational in nature. Clearly the intention was to cater to the tastes and interests of the wider population.
The same direction was adopted by the following three Festivals so that cultural and recreational activities continued to dominate. In order to appeal to the whole population, variety was indispensable – there must be something for everybody. Within the short span of one week, several hundred activities of many different types, were mounted. The different nature and form of the activities reflected the unique character of the respective organizing groups.
A look at the details of the Hong Kong Festival programme can help us understand the special nature of the Festival; it can also tell us something about Hong Kong society and culture in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
- Press Release of the Co-ordinator of the Festival of Hong Kong: Festival's Open Air Fiesta in Statue Square
- Press Release: Festival's Open-air Fiesta Traffic arrangements
- Festival's Open Air Fiesta in Statue Square
- Three maps about the 1969 Festival's Kowloon Float Procession
- Press Release: Beautiful Ladies on the Floats with the Bands behind
- Grand Procession Bus Diversions: Measures designed to ease pressure
- GIS press release about the Festival of HK Entertainment Committee
- Open-Air Fiesta for the Festival of Hong Kong 1969: Programme of Events
- GIS Press Release: The Drawing Result of the Order of Floats in the Kowloon Float Procession
- The invitation card of the Games Rally of the Western District at the 1971 Festival of Hong Kong
- Festival of Hong Kong Office Press Release: Festival of Hong Kong Concerts
- Festival of Hong Kong 1969: Programme of Events
- Festival Pageant for the Festival of Hong Kong 1971 - Programme of Events
- Festival of Hong Kong 1971: Programme of Events
- 1973 Festival of Hong Kong (Fourth Draft Programme)
- Festival Press Release: Festival of Hong Kong Illumination Ceremony at City Hall
- Festival Press Release: Event Introduction by the Co-ordinator, Festival of Hong Kong 1969
- Festival Press Release: Festival of Hong Kong 1969 Procesion and Float Parade
- Festival Press Release: Prisoners Help Festival of Hong Kong
- Festival Press Release: Festival of Hong Kong for Disabled People